FreeBSD Crashes Intermittently !!

shahzaib shahzaib shahzaib.cb at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 17:37:30 UTC 2016

Hi,

Well, we've some messages in kernel logs each time the server boots up
which are :

(probe0:mps0:0:3:7): CAM status: CCB request completed with an error
(probe0:mps0:0:3:7): Retrying command
(probe0:mps0:0:3:7): INQUIRY. CDB: 12 e0 00 00 24 00
(probe0:mps0:0:3:7): CAM status: CCB request completed with an error
(probe0:mps0:0:3:7): Retrying command
(probe0:mps0:0:3:7): INQUIRY. CDB: 12 e0 00 00 24 00
(probe0:mps0:0:3:7): CAM status: CCB request completed with an error

In following post it is written that :

 these are due to a mismatch between firmware and driver version
<http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-scsi/2014-October/006505.html>.
FreeBSD
9 <http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/stable/9/sys/dev/mps/mpsvar.h?view=co> ships
with driver version 16 and FreeBSD 10
<http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/stable/10/sys/dev/mps/mpsvar.h?view=co>
includes
version 19. Linux
<https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/scsi/mpt2sas/mpt2sas_base.h>
currently
has version 18. So make sure that in step 11, you always flash the version
that matches your operating system’s driver version, don’t blindly go with
version P20 or the latest version

Here is the link to that Post :

http://blog.michael.kuron-germany.de/2014/11/crossflashing-dell-perc-h200-to-lsi-9211-8i/comment-page-1/

It looks like that it might be the issue of crash as we're using LSI-9211
controller and maybe due to mismatch between firmware and driver version
this crash occurs.