FreeBSD Crashes Intermittently !!

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 9 19:20:31 UTC 2016

On Wed, Mar 09, 2016 at 05:24:37PM +0500, shahzaib shahzaib wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to this mailing list so please pardon me for any mistakes. We've
> started using FreeBSD from past 4-5 months and facing auto-reboot crash
> issue since the beginning. Following are the servers specs :
>
> Supermicro X5690 (12 cores, 24 threads - 2u)
> 96GB RAM
> 12x3TB mirror+stripping (HBA-LSI9211)
> X8DT3 Board
>
> We've total of 5 supermicro servers built upon same hardware and all of
> them intermittently goes down and sometimes they crash and boot up
> automatically (within 6min) and sometimes they gets freeze and we've to
> manually boot them via IPMI interface. All the time we get 'MCA Internal
> Timer Error' in crash logs. Here is the recent one :
>
> http://pastebin.com/042SJ11c

In my experience, random crashes/reboots are almost certainly hardware issues.
Sometimes a card or memory module isn't seated properly (especially after a
machine has been moved). But other times it's things like memory modules or
power supplies failing.

Sometimes logging things like voltages, CPU temperatures and fan RPM can give
you a clue.

At $WORK I've experienced spectacular power supply blow-outs because
(conductive) carbon fibers caused a short circuit in it. So dust et cetera can
also be a problem, but usually not with new systems.

Roland

--
R.F.Smith                                   http://rsmith.home.xs4all.nl/
pgp: 5753 3324 1661 B0FE 8D93  FCED 40F6 D5DC A38A 33E0 (keyID: A38A33E0)