Span in the lists

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Fri Mar 4 12:37:29 UTC 2016

On Fri, 4 Mar 2016 06:09:59 -0500
Carmel <carmel_ny at outlook.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 04 Mar 2016 14:21:15 +0700, Olivier Nicole stated:
>
> > Fernando,
> >
> > > What happened in the last few hours regarding the lists? I received
> > > _a lot of spam_ from freebsd-ports@ freebsd-questions@ and other
> > > lists.
> >
> > Per choice, the lists are open, it means you can post without being a
> > member, it alo means spammers have kind of free access.
>
> This is all because some asshole feels it an inconvenience to have to
> register for the list. I did an experiment a year or so ago to see

	No. This is all because those who run the FreeBSD mailing lists
decided not to require registration for reasons they (and I) feel are good
and sufficient. This is not likely to change. Very little spam gets through,
but whenever there's a little spray of it we get this.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org>