sed help please

David Banning david+dated+1457496338.968870 at skytracker.ca
Fri Mar 4 04:06:08 UTC 2016

I am trying to change hundreds of lines of text. Given the following text;

line 1
line 2 foo take this text
line 3
line 4
line 5 bar leave this text
line 6
line 7

I need a sed command that would take everything between foo and bar -
including foo and bar.

Ideally the output would look like;

line 1
line 2
leave this text
line 6
line 7

Keep in mind that foo and bar appear in different
locations - sometimes at the beginning of a line, sometimes at the end,
and sometimes in the middle.  I found someone who posted the following
solution;

sed '/foo/,/bar/{s/./x/g}' file

but I found that this does not execute under FreeBSD.  I have looked
around for differences between FreeBSD and other unix like SED operations
but only see the -s "", regarding backup file.

Any pointers would be helpful.