DHCPD does not know the format of its own leases file?

Nagy László Zsolt gandalf at shopzeus.com
Thu Mar 3 08:12:33 UTC 2016

System: 10.2-RELEASE FreeBSD running dhcpd-5.8 OpenBSD dhcp daemon

When a client requests an IP address, the server writes out into
/var/db/dhcpd.leases állományba. When I restart dhcpd, the following
error message is displayed in the log (for all clients):

^
/var/db/dhcpd.leases line 89: unparseable time string
ends 4 1970/01/01 00:00:00 UTC;

It seems that it is writting epoch into the leases file for any host:

lease 192.168.5.103 {
starts 4 1970/01/01 00:00:00 UTC;
ends 4 1970/01/01 00:00:00 UTC;
hardware ethernet bc:5f:f4:d0:d8:3c;
uid 01:bc:5f:f4:d0:d8:3c;
client-hostname "Adam-PC";
}

Then it cannot parse that (wrong) time when I restart it. Lease times
are configured this way:

default-lease-time 1814400; # 21 days
max-lease-time 1814400; # 21 days

The system date is good (synchronized with ntpd).

I have already tried to search for "dhcpd unparseable time string" but
nothing useful comes up.

Why is this happening? How to fix it?

Thanks,

   Laszlo