boot code

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Mar 1 19:07:41 UTC 2016

On Tue, 1 Mar 2016 14:43:16 +0100, Bernt Hansson wrote:

> On 2016-03-01 14:37, krad wrote:
> > GPT is the way to go for future proofing and is backwards compatible in
> > most cases. One addition this I would do is always add an EFI partition as
> > well. Again this is for future proofing.
> >
> Gpt did not install the bootcode, mbr did. So MBR it is.

Check the output of

	# fdisk ada1

and

	# bsdlabel ada1s1

and verify that it reflects the layout and configuration
that you actually want. In worst case, erase the beginning
of the disk and initialize it again. If deleting disk content
is not an option - don't mind, installing boot code usually
does not affect "real" data.

Use MBR only if you have a specific need for it (which might
be possible). Using GPT is advised today, but MBR will work
in most cases - as GPT should, too, but other most cases. :-)

You can also use

	# gpart show ada1

to see if there is a GPT partitioning going on (which fdisk
and bsdlabel cannot deal with), just to be sure.

You have two (three) ways of disk initialization in this thread
and from the article of Warren Block. At least one should be
working for you. Choose wisely. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany