FreeBSD-10.2-RELEASE-amd64-memstick -- fresh install not booting

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Tue Mar 1 18:15:22 UTC 2016

On Mon, 29 Feb 2016, David Christensen wrote:

> I assume the FreeBSD installer put a protective MBR partition table on the
> disk.  Note that fdisk reports that the boot bit is not set on the first and
> only partition.

That is standard for GPT and the PMBR.  Do not use MBR utilities on GPT
disks.  The PMBR is there so a GPT disk will boot on a BIOS system, and
modifying it with MBR utilities probably won't help but can definitely
hurt.

There are several reasons a UEFI system might not boot.  Make sure you
have the latest UEFI firmware for the motherboard.  Turn off Secure
Boot.  For BIOS-based systems, several notable manufacturers like
IBM/Lenovo and HP have mis-used certain partition types for their own
purposes, breaking GPT compatibility.

For hopelessly broken UEFI or BIOS systems, using the old MBR format is
necessary.