Reading PDFs on the command line (with misc/lesspipe)

Niklaas Baudet von Gersdorff stdin at niklaas.eu
Thu Jun 30 08:58:31 UTC 2016

Polytropon [2016-06-29 14:03 +0200] :

[...]
> > > http://www.manualpages.de/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-ports-9.0-RELEASE/man1/pdftotext.1.html
> > > http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/41362/view-pdf-file-in-terminal
> > >
> > > I wonder how it is handled assumed "some.pdf" is just a scanned picture
> > > of text converted to pdf ;).
> >
> > /usr/local/libexec/xpdf/pdfimages is installed by default by package
> > xpdf.

Thanks for the second link. That made me realise that
misc/lesspipe uses xpdf's pdftotext to view the PDF. I thought
that I wouldn't need xpdf's utils if I had lesspipe installed.

> And then use ImageMagick to convert it to ASCII art. :-)

Haha. Great idea. However, I simply want to get a glimpse of what
is written in the PDF before I start downloading it with scp.

Bertram Scharpf [2016-06-29 14:16 +0200] :

> I do the following (from the shell, not yet from mutt):
>
>   - Forward X to the desktop machine:
>
>     xto() {
>       local h l d
>       h=${1:-desktop}
>       l=`hostname -f`
>       d=":0"
>       ssh $h "
>         export DISPLAY=$d
>         xhost $l 1>&2
>         xauth extract - $d
>       " | xauth -f ~/.Xauthority merge -
>       export DISPLAY=$h$d
>     }
>
>   - Run xpdf.
>
> Of course, this requires xpdf and a lot of X client stuff to
> be installed on the (anything but X) server.

This looks very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

    Niklaas