Bad experience switching to SSD on FreeBSD 10.3

Manish Jain bourne.identity at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 25 04:34:49 UTC 2016

On 6/25/2016 2:28 AM, Dean E. Weimer wrote:
> On 2016-06-24 3:24 pm, Manish Jain wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a rather bad experience switching to SSD on FreeBSD 10.3 amd64.
>> Things would have been much worse had the SSD switch not worked for my
>> other OS - Windows XP, a bit surprising because XP does not support
>> SSD TRIM.
>>
>> For my upgrade, there were 3 components which I upgraded simultaneously :
>>
>> 1) Keyboard -> LED backlit keyboard (Cooler Master Devastator, USB)
>> 2) 2 GB DDR3 RAM -> 8GB DDR3 (G Skill)
>> 3) Sata HD -> SSD (Samsung EVO 500 GB)
>>
>> The keyboard upgrade itself failed for FreeBSD. The moment I switch on
>> the LED backlight light for the keys, console output freezes till I
>> turn off the backlight. This is surprising because the keyboard works
>> well on XP, which was developed almost 2 decades back. The reason this
>> is important for me is because I love working in the dark, with no
>> bright lights around. LED keyboards make that possible. Not just that,
>> the keyboard looks sensational - particularly with LED on, when the
>> thing looks futuristic.
>
> Cooler Master Devastator is a poorly designed LED keyboard for using on
> FreeBSD/Linux, I did a quick search because I was surprised it wouldn't
> work.
>
> The scroll lock key turns on/off the back light, so your console is
> freezing because its doing exactly what you told it to do when pressing
> the scroll lock button. Its not an issue with FreeBSD not supporting the
> LED backlit keyboard, just that they chose a poor key to link the on/off
> feature of the LED to when using the keyboard on FreeBSD/Linux. You may
> be able to work around it by using scroll lock prior to FreeBSD starting
> to boot and hopefully it will stay on.
>
> Someone else might have a better idea for a work around on this.

If the keyboard is going to be a problem forever, I think I will get it
replaced with something that works smoothly. Could you be kind enough to
look up Razer Deathstalker Wired USB Standard Keyboard - will that
keyboard be okay ? If not, there is very expensive option - Roccat Isku
FX Multicolor USB Gaming Keyboard. Will either keyboard solve the
problem once and for all?

Thank you.
Manish Jain