Bad experience switching to SSD on FreeBSD 10.3

Dean E. Weimer dweimer at dweimer.net
Fri Jun 24 20:58:18 UTC 2016

On 2016-06-24 3:24 pm, Manish Jain wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a rather bad experience switching to SSD on FreeBSD 10.3 amd64.
> Things would have been much worse had the SSD switch not worked for my
> other OS - Windows XP, a bit surprising because XP does not support
> SSD TRIM.
>
> For my upgrade, there were 3 components which I upgraded simultaneously
> :
>
> 1) Keyboard -> LED backlit keyboard (Cooler Master Devastator, USB)
> 2) 2 GB DDR3 RAM -> 8GB DDR3 (G Skill)
> 3) Sata HD -> SSD (Samsung EVO 500 GB)
>
> The keyboard upgrade itself failed for FreeBSD. The moment I switch on
> the LED backlight light for the keys, console output freezes till I
> turn off the backlight. This is surprising because the keyboard works
> well on XP, which was developed almost 2 decades back. The reason this
> is important for me is because I love working in the dark, with no
> bright lights around. LED keyboards make that possible. Not just that,
> the keyboard looks sensational - particularly with LED on, when the
> thing looks futuristic.

Cooler Master Devastator is a poorly designed LED keyboard for using on
FreeBSD/Linux, I did a quick search because I was surprised it wouldn't
work.

The scroll lock key turns on/off the back light, so your console is
freezing because its doing exactly what you told it to do when pressing
the scroll lock button. Its not an issue with FreeBSD not supporting the
LED backlit keyboard, just that they chose a poor key to link the on/off
feature of the LED to when using the keyboard on FreeBSD/Linux. You may
be able to work around it by using scroll lock prior to FreeBSD starting
to boot and hopefully it will stay on.

Someone else might have a better idea for a work around on this.

--
Thanks,
    Dean E. Weimer