console in 11.0-ALPHA4

Ernie Luzar luzar722 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 18:35:01 UTC 2016

I have installed 11.0-ALPHA4-i386-20160617-r301975.

The console looks very different from all previous releases.
I find it to be harder to read. This manifests it self with the boot log
messages and the normal behavior of the virtual consoles.

But the real problem is in the notable hesitation when switching between
virtual consoles.

 From the boot log (ie: dmesg) I see this
VT(vga): resolution 640x480

This must be what is making the console display so different from
previous releases. Can VT be configured to default to present the same
console behavior as previous releases before this version of 11.0 gets
published as RELEASE?

About the "hesitation when switching between virtual consoles" I am
thinking that this reduced performance may be caused by WITNESS being
enabled in the ALPHA series of releases. Can anyone verify that this
hesitation will not exist in the published RELEASE?

In the boot log I get this message 16 times.
"vicontrol: setting cursor type: Inappropriate ioctl for device"
They don't seem to cause any problems that I have stumbled across.
Is anyone else getting these "NOTICE" type messages?