USB scanner under Virtualbox

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Jun 17 15:55:03 UTC 2016

On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 15:41:33 +0000, Manish Jain wrote:
> I have a USB scanner (Canon MG2470 All In One printer, which I use
> purely as a scanner) which is software-triggered - the software is
> for Windows only.

I also have three scanners where the software is for "Windows" only,
and I use them with FreeBSD software. :-) Have you checked if you can
use the scanner with CUSE directly from FreeBSD? I know the "things"
manufactured by Canon often don't play nice regarding that task.

> What are the chances that I will be able to get the scanner to work
> under Virtualbox XP?

Basic USB 1.0 support (probably sufficient for the scanner) should
be provided by Virtualbox without problems. Just make sure the user
you're running Virtualbox from is a member of the "vboxusers" group.
In the Virtualbox configuration dialog, check "Enable USB Controller".
The device should then be listed.

Attention! I do not know if there are conflicts when accessing the
same USB device both from the host and the VM instance that runs the
guest OS... you need to actually verify this.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany