When your server boots too fast: How to slow it down?

Niklaas Baudet von Gersdorff stdin at niklaas.eu
Wed Jun 15 05:46:58 UTC 2016

Lowell Gilbert [2016-06-14 15:59 -0400] :

> > Additionally to SYNCDHCP, I added the following three lines:
> >
> >   netwait_enable="YES"
> >   netwait_if="<interface>"
> >   netwait_ip="<IPv6>"
> >
> > This solves the problem. But this also requires me to predict
> > the IPv6 that the server gets from the router.
>
> No, it doesn't. You're supposed to put a *remote* address in that
> variable, not a local one.

I don't know why but I couldn't think about that option at all.
That makes totally sense.

> Just out of interest, where did you get the idea of doing it this way?

Since it had something to do with the boot process I skimmed
a bit over /etc/rc.d/* and stumbled upon /etc/rc.d/netwait and
read it. Although it says that one should prefer SYNCDHCP
(actually it says synchronous_dhclient="YES") at the very
beginning, I gave it a shot.

Mel Pilgrim [2016-06-14 12:24 -0700] :

> Statically configure the interface in rc.conf.  You already have it
> statically configured elsewhere in the system, so save yourself the race
> condition headache and make it static in rc.conf, too.

That's a good point too.

    Niklaas