Anything special to do moving to SSD?

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Tue Jun 14 18:35:11 UTC 2016

On Tue, 14 Jun 2016 17:43:05 +0000
Manish Jain <bourne.identity at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I use FreeBSD 10.2 amd64 as my primary OS.
>
> I just purchased a Samsung EVO 500 GB Solid State disk, and shall be
> migrating to it in the next few days. Just wanted to know whether I can
> use it out-of-the-box, pretty much like an IDE/SATA hard disk, or is
> there anything special/nice to do for SSD ?

	Just one thing, use the -t flag to newfs (along with whatever
others you use) when you initialise the filesystems to enable TRIM support,
other than that it's just a (fast) drive.

> I presume I shall have to reinstall the OS over again. In case it is
> possible to migrate 'in-place' (data copy), please let me know about that
> too.

	Provided the existing filesystems will fit on the SSD a migrate in
place is quite easy. I have done this quite recently based on the excellent
write up here http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/ssd.html - don't
treat it as a step-by-step adapt it to your setup (not hard).

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org>