Dell Latitude D630 and FreeBSD

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Jun 10 03:48:52 UTC 2016

On Thu, 9 Jun 2016 20:20:59 -0300, Duane Whitty wrote:

> Hi Polytropon,
>
> If I may refer to one of your posts "Re: advice for buying a laptop"
> 16-06-08, you write:
>
> "Last year I made a Dell Latitude D630 with FreeBSD 10, and it works
> better than my home Aldi PC!"
>
> I also have a Dell Latitude D630.  I was wondering if you are using
> wifi on it?

Yes, that one worked as intended. The one included in this model
is compatible with the "wpi" driver. I followed the examples in
the handbook's WiFi section and it worked.

	wlans_wpi0="wlan0"
	ifconfig_wlan0="WPA DHCP"
	netif_enable="YES"

I've even tried a GUI tool for connecting, but _that_ didn't work
as I thought. Maybe it was meant for Linux, not for FreeBSD. :-)

> If I recall correctly I had some trouble in that FreeBSD
> 10(?) wasn't picking up my wifi card.
>
> $ lspci
>
> (output trimmed)
>
> 09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5755M
> Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)
> 0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g
> WLAN (rev 01)
>
> FreeBSD had no trouble with the Ethernet nic but I had no success at
> the time with wireless.  Hopefully you can confirm for me that this
> has changed.

Yes. The laptop in question has been initialized with FreeBSD 10 and
follows the RELEASE update path. The GENERIC kernel has all the parts
needed: "wpi" for wireless, "bge" for wired NIC.

Check the output of "pciconf -lv | less" to confirm that the correct
driver has been activated for that particular hardware.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany