rsync or git backups?

Oliver Briscbois loki at zapto.roth.ca
Sat Jun 4 05:59:24 UTC 2016

On 2016-06-03, N.J. Thomas <njt at ayvali.org> wrote:
> There was a story on HackerNews about rsnapshot yesterday, the
> discussion was informative:
>
>     https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=11817701
>
> Several rsnapshot alternatives came up during that discussion
>
>     Attic - https://attic-backup.org/
>     Borg - https://borgbackup.readthedocs.io/en/stable/
>     Obnam - http://obnam.org/

Thanks for taking the time to post about that discussion on HackerNews.
I found it very informative. I'm reading the documentation for
borgbackup now.

I've been using flexbackup with afio for several years, although I'm
not recommending this to anyone. I chose afio because it deals somewhat
gracefully with input data corruption, supports multi-volume archives,
and its compressed archives are much safer than compressed tar or cpio
archives. I've previously had to discard entire compressed backup
archives where one single bit went bad. With afio, and possibly other
compressed backup archives, only the affected file within the archive
is lost. Some loss is better than all lost with storage media fails.
I'll need to finish reading the borg docs to see how it handles errors
on backup media before making a switch.

http://www.edwinh.org/flexbackup/
http://members.chello.nl/~k.holtman/afio.html

At first glance it seems that Attic/Borg/Obnam offer dedupliction which
is far superior to that of my present flexbackup/afio solution.

Due to my location all backups need to be made to local storage media
usually USB first, then later to a physical HD which is removed and
kept in a safe place. When time ($) permits I'll set up a local NAS
server for backup storage and it'll definitely use ZFS at that time.

Thanks again,

Oliver