no beep any more

Eduardo Morras emorrasg at yahoo.es
Tue Jul 26 12:13:59 UTC 2016

On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 13:48:46 +0200
Matthias Apitz <guru at unixarea.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Yesterday I realized that my Acer C720 does not issue any beep, for
> example in terminals or on alpha console with 'printf "\7"'
> The sound general is working, for example playing something with
> mplayer or the jingle on KDE start. I'm not aware of having installed
> something during the last days. Is this somehow configureable with
> sysctl?
>
> $ kbdcontrol -b normal
>
> does not help.
>
> ANy ideas?

What's the output of

%mixer speaker

Beeps don't use pcm.

Some audio and video players modify mixer values directly to control volume, instead using alsa/oss/pulse calls. Perhaps you used one of them.

Anything weird on dmesg -a output?

As a workaround, if you are using xterm under X, Ctrl+MIddle Mouse button shows a menu where you can enable visual beep. Other terminals could have similar mode.

---   ---
Eduardo Morras <emorrasg at yahoo.es>