Unable to mount with mount_smbfs while smbclient works fine

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Jul 20 12:24:33 UTC 2016

On Wed, 20 Jul 2016 11:51:13 +0000, twilight wrote:
> I'm trying to mount a samba share (actually a D-link sharecenter) in my
> local network to my freebsd machine. But for some reason mount_smbfs
> does nothing, exiting with status 1. Dmesg is empty on errors releated
> to mount. PF firewall lets out packages to local network, so it must not
> be the case.
>
> I've read the man twice, the isn't anything covering the possible
> errors. I'm confused, what should I do?

Allow me to provide some information refactored from a post I wrote
5 years ago - I'm not fully sure it still applies today, but it did
work as intended. Even though I use mount + fstab, mount_smbfs is at
the center of this approach.

In order to use mount (mount_smbfs), provide the "login information"
as needed in /etc/nsmb.conf (replace uppercase placeholders), for example:

	[default]
	workgroup=YOUR_WORKGROUP_NAME

	[SERVERNAME]
	addr=192.168.2.2

	[SERVERNAME:USERNAME]
	password=TOPSECRET

where SERVERNAME and USERNAME correspond to the server's name
and the username you use to access the share (with the proper
password).

See "man nsmb.conf" for details.

You could use a hostname instead of an IP, for example by adding
an entry in /etc/hosts for the target.

Parts of the above information should then be reflected in /etc/fstab,
maybe like this:

	//USERNAME at SERVERNAME/share  /smb/share  smbfs  rw,noauto  0  0

This should allow you to use

	# mount /smb/share

a bit easier (and automatically, if desired).

If the target exposes more than one share via "drive letters", you
can use a similar approach in /etc/fstab:

	//USERNAME at SERVERNAME/a$     /smb/a      smbfs  rw,noauto  0  0
	//USERNAME at SERVERNAME/c$     /smb/c      smbfs  rw,noauto  0  0
	//USERNAME at SERVERNAME/d$     /smb/d      smbfs  rw,noauto  0  0
	//USERNAME at SERVERNAME/e$     /smb/e      smbfs  rw,noauto  0  0
	//USERNAME at SERVERNAME/f$     /smb/f      smbfs  rw,noauto  0  0

The "generic" mount command will then work as mentioned above.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany