EFI and GPT status

Ben Woods woodsb02 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 21:31:20 UTC 2016

On Tuesday, 19 July 2016, Fernando Apesteguía <fernando.apesteguia at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What's the status of EFI and GPT support on FreeBSD? I would like to triple
> boot windows 10 + FreeBSD 10 + Linux everything installed on a single disk.
> Is it possible?
>
> If not with GPT, would it be better to fall back to compatibility mode and
> MBR partition scheme?
>
> Has anyone played with this?
>
> Thanks in advance.

I dual boot my laptop with Windows and FreeBSD using a single hard drive.

I find the easiest way is creating 2 new GPT partitions (1 for ZFS and 1
for swap). I then manually copy the FreeBSD EFI boot loader to my EFI
partition, by mounting the existing EFI partition that comes with the
laptop as msdosfs to /mnt, copying /boot/boot1.efi to
/mnt/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi.

Lastly, I install refind on my efi partition to allow me to select between
the Windows EFI loader and the FreeBSD EFI loader at boot time.
http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/

Regards,
Ben

From: Benjamin Woods