RPCPROG_NFS: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Timed out

Niklaas Baudet von Gersdorff stdin at niklaas.eu
Mon Jul 18 14:55:42 UTC 2016

When I try to mount a NFS share of my provider with

  mount -t nfs -o tcp,nfsv3,nolockd my.provider.tld:/the/shared/directory /mnt/mountpoint

the share won't mount. Instead I get the following error after a while:

  [tcp] stor2.tilaa.nl:/stor2/clients/15337/1: RPCPROG_NFS: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Timed out

My provider requests to use nfsv3 and nolockd that's why I define these options.

In /etc/rc.conf I have

	rpcbind_enable="YES"
	nfs_client_enable="YES"

And I started both with

	service rpcbind start
  service nfsclient start

The funny thing is that I can telnet to both 111 and 2049 without
any problems. In addition there are no relevant outgoing/incoming
packages being blocked in pflog0.

`rpcinfo -p my.provider.tld` gives

   program vers proto   port  service
    100000    4   tcp    111  rpcbind
    100000    3   tcp    111  rpcbind
    100000    2   tcp    111  rpcbind
    100000    4   udp    111  rpcbind
    100000    3   udp    111  rpcbind
    100000    2   udp    111  rpcbind
    100000    4 local    111  rpcbind
    100000    3 local    111  rpcbind
    100000    2 local    111  rpcbind
    100005    1   udp    839  mountd
    100005    3   udp    839  mountd
    100005    1   tcp    839  mountd
    100005    3   tcp    839  mountd
    100003    2   tcp   2049  nfs
    100003    3   tcp   2049  nfs

However `showmount -e my.provider.tld` gives

  RPC: Port mapper failure
  showmount: can't do mountdump rpc

after a while.

This seems really strange to me because I have no problems to
reach the server via telnet. Does anyone have an idea what could
be causing this?

Any help is very much appreciated.

    Niklaas