borderline OT fireox question

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Sat Jul 16 08:54:23 UTC 2016

On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 10:21:31 +0200, Bernt Hansson wrote:
>On 2016-07-13 21:55, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
>>
>> I notice that whenever I start typing text into the serch-bar of
>> Firefox (on my FreeBSD 9.3R daily-driver desktop system) it suggests
>> completions for me, implying that Google has my identity pegged. I
>> use TOR when surfing & followed the advice of a thread a few weeks
>> ago about a FF setting to prevent those suggestions. I also have
>> cron delete cookies & other cruft from the .mozilla directory
>> nightly. How do they still have me ? TIA & have a good one.
>>
>Well the simple solution to that is turn of javascript.

A non-OT hint:

FWIW IceCat provides an experimetal, optional option trying to block
non-free JavaScrip. Free JavaScript still remains JavaScript, this is
another issue, but at least it's a step to more freedom,
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/IceCat/GNU_LibreJS .

"The program LibreJS detects nonfree, nontrivial JavaScript in pages
you visit, and blocks it." -
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/javascript-trap.html

Regards,
Ralf

--
OT:
Not verified by myself, but perhaps worth reading it: