borderline OT fireox question

Daniël de Kok me at danieldk.eu
Thu Jul 14 06:37:54 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 11:14:26PM +0000, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> OK, but where is that history kept, & how do they associate past & current
> searches ?

I think that there are two possibilities:

1. You see a correlation that does not really exist - Google is just
   suggesting probably completions of a query, and other people search
   similar things as you do.

2. Google does track you, and is using other means to uniquely identify you.
   EFF's Panopticlick [1] shows that most browsers have a fingerprint that is
   very unique. E.g. it finds that my particular browser fingerprint is
   unique among 132,254 browsers so far.

At any rate, I agree with the grandparent poster: if you don't want Google
to track you, don't use Google. StartPage is a good suggestion, you also
might want to look into DuckDuckGo.

With kind regards,
Daniël

[1] https://panopticlick.eff.org