What does user land mean?

Lars Eighner luvbeastie at larseighner.com
Sat Jul 2 13:53:07 UTC 2016

In modern talk, user land would be apps -- things that are not part of the
system, but are programs that you want on a particular system.

They tend to exist in the /usr directory. Some of them are things that you
will want in every sane system. These tend to be in /usr/bin and /usr/sbin
and some of them are installed with a minimal installation -- but you could
have a system without them (you just wouldn't want to).

Then there are the addons which are more or less optional depending upon
what you are tasking the machine to do. Most of these are installed as ports
and generally go in /usr/local with its bin, etc, lib, sbin, and so forth.
You probably don't want a web server in a machine dedicated to mail, and so
forth.

This is not all perfectly logical and strict because there are many
artifacts of various legacy organization schemes, but in a general way it
gives you an idea where to look for stuff.

On Sat, 2 Jul 2016, Orville Jones wrote:

> I started using FreeBSD in March 2016 just to see what it was about.
> I am slowly getting up to speed on learning to do things the FreeBSD way.
> What do people mean when they refer to "user land" ?
>
> Kind Regards,
> Orville

Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html
8800 N IH35 APT 1191 AUSTIN TX 78753-5266