"Simple" Languages in FreeBSD

Steve O'Hara-Smith steve at sohara.org
Fri Jul 1 09:15:15 UTC 2016

On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 17:52:43 -0400
Allen <bsd_atog at comcast.net> wrote:

> Anyway, in all these years that have passed using FreeBSD and a bunch
> of Linux distros, I never had time or patience enough to learn
> Programming Languages, and I'm getting more and more to the part where
> I'm thinking it's a good idea more so now than before.

	First off FreeBSD supports most programming languages from BASIC to
Prolog by way of C, Smalltalk, LISP, Haskell and Forth among many others.

	Here's the thing - each of the languages I've listed is an example
of a particular programming paradigm (there are many other examples of each
paradigm). If your aim is to learn about programming in general then I
would advise learning as many different paradigms as possible. If your aim
is to do a bit of programming then pick a language - any language - and
learn to write something useful.

	Python and Perl are both easy to learn OO/structured languages,
python attempts to force good style, perl is more of an anything goes
approach. Learn one and the other is easy to learn.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org>