uname exits 0, no output

Rick Miller vmiller at hostileadmin.com
Thu Jan 28 14:04:27 UTC 2016

Hi all,

First, some background before describing odd behavior: We have automated CI
(Continuous Integration) tests which run in openstack for each code commit
to our application.  These tests spawn a new environment (network, Vms
etc), configure it, execute the tests & then destroy the env at the end.

Now, to the odd behavior: sometimes, the tests execute a “uname -a” command
via ssh because it needs to know the operating system version. The odd
behavior is that approximately 5% of the time “uname -a” on FreeBSD 10.x
openstack instances returns exit-code 0 (i.e. Successful) but produces no
output on stdout. This causes the tests to fail; which causes the whole
CI-execution to be marked as a failure. This behavior is only exhibited on
the BSD hosts and not Linux hosts.

I am trying to track down what the likely cause is.  I'm hoping someone
might be able to shed some light on the BSD image itself.  Could there be
something in the OS and/or the OpenSSH versions or libraries on BSD which
could explain this behavior?

--
Take care
Rick Miller