What's taking up all my disk space?

Murk Fletcher murk.fletcher at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 10:21:28 UTC 2016

Hi!

Woke up to a nasty surprise this morning:

/: write failed, filesystem is full
# df -h
Filesystem         Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/gpt/rootfs     38G     35G   -7.4M   100%    /
devfs              1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
fdescfs            1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev/fd
linprocfs          4.0K    4.0K      0B   100%    /usr/compat/linux/proc

I have no idea why this is because I'm only using my FreeBSD VPS to run a
small Rails app in `/usr/home/`:

# du -sh /usr/home
8.6G    /usr/home
# du -sh /usr/
 12G    /usr/
# du -sh /
 34G    /

Maybe there's a way to use `du` to show all files larger than 1GB and then
pass it on to some other command to sort them by size?

Thanks!

Murk