HAST primary role hang when copying data

Solène Rapenne solene at bsd.zplay.eu
Mon Jan 25 18:03:45 UTC 2016

Hello,

I am trying to use HAST between 2 FreeBSD-10.2 servers which are in 2
differents DC with a 100/100 mbit/s network and 14ms of ping between
them.

I used both (not at the same time) OpenVPN and a SSH Tunnel to transport
the data for security.

In both tries, hastctl tells me that the sync is complete, I can mount
it on one one, then I start to cp some files inside and then the primary
system hang after a few seconds when I do something disk related, only a
hard reboot can fix this. I can reproduce it anytime on both nodes. When
starting to write on the primary, the second node lose synchronization
and the primary hang like if it has a nfs mounted on something
disconnected (if you know that case).

I tried some hast.conf "tweaks" from the man to try to make it more "vpn
friendly" without success

resource essai {
     replication async
     compression lzf
     on BBB {
         local /home/shared
	remote 10.8.0.6
         metaflush off
     }
     on AAA {
         local /home/shared
	remote 10.8.0.1
         metaflush off
     }
}

/home/shared is a file made with dd with zeroes, maybe this is the
problem ?

Am I doing something wrong ?

Kind regards