rolling backup

Sergei G sergeig.public at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 10:25:05 UTC 2016

Is there any good application for maintaining a rolling backup of
filesystem?

I wrote this simple Makefile that's called from a periodic scripts to
maintain backups.  However, over time it will run out of space. The
solution would be to have the same backup reusing file names using a
rolling backup scheme.  Is there a project that can do that already?

In rolling backup I would be using parts of the date output (date -j
+"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S") and a mod operation to roll the number.  I just
don't have time to spend on it...

Thanks

Script I use:
----------

# Dump Options
# -C32 is a cash in MB for snapthot based filesystems.  Range is 0..32
# -b128 is number of KB per output block.  It improves performance.
# -0 is a full backup
# -u update dump dates after successful dump
# -n notify all operators in operator group
# -a autosize is used for harddrives and other non-tape media
# -L is a live file system; use /.snap directory
# -h1 honor no_dump flag for backup level at or above specified number
# -f file_name is write backup to a file_name; use - for STDOUT
#
# return values:
# 0 - ok
# 1 - startup errors
# 3 - abnormal termination

dump=/sbin/dump
level=0
dumpargs=-C16 -b128 -$(level)unaL -h1 -f -
dumpcmd=$(dump) $(dumpargs)

bzip2=/usr/bin/bzip2
bzip2args=--best
compress=$(bzip2) $(bzip2args)

expr=/bin/expr
now=`date +%Y-%m-%d`
backupdir=/backup
suffix=$(now)_$(level).dump.bz2

default:
         @cat dump.mak

test:
         @echo level:    $(level)
         @echo dumpargs: $(dumpargs)
         @echo compress: $(compress)
         @echo dumpcmd:  $(dumpcmd)

# http://milan.adamovsky.com/2010/06/freebsd-makefile-local-variables.html
# .ifmake target
# SOMEVAR=1
# .endif

run:
         @echo Backing up /
         $(dumpcmd) /            | $(compress) > $(backupdir)/root_$(suffix)

         @echo Backing up /var
         $(dumpcmd) /var         | $(compress) > $(backupdir)/var_$(suffix)

         @echo Backing up /usr
         $(dumpcmd) /usr         | $(compress) > $(backupdir)/usr_$(suffix)

         @echo Backing up /usr/jails
         $(dumpcmd) /usr/jails   | $(compress) >
$(backupdir)/jails_$(suffix)