[installworld] Do We need /usr/obj

Terje Elde terje at elde.net
Sun Jan 24 21:07:45 UTC 2016

On 24 Jan 2016, at 21:57, Tim Daneliuk <tundra at tundraware.com> wrote:

>> Why build on the machine then? Why not just build on and install from another?
>
> Because this machine is many networks away and installation over the wire would take
> quite a while, I think.

Well, yes, it would take time, but surely not more than compiling everything on it?

There's multiple ways you could do this:
 - nfs-mount /usr/src and obj
 - copy them over only if needed
 - do a binary-upgrade, with sources you compiled

They're all quite workable. I've done the first with nfs over IPSec, about 50ms. latency. Not fast, I'll give you that, but practical and fast enough (for my use at the time at least).

>> Well, that's where your built stuff goes, so it's where you'd install files from if you upgrade.
>
> So you DO need /usr/obj for the installs then?

Yes.

>> Also, it wouldn't really help you to delete it. With your current setup, you'd need the space again the next night, wouldn't you?
>
> The idea would be to have the rebuild scripts clean out /usr/obj when they are done ... if it were no longer needed.

Yes, but whatever space that frees up for you, you couldn't really use freely anyway, since you'd need that space again for the next build?

Terje