[installworld] Do We need /usr/obj

Terje Elde terje at elde.net
Sun Jan 24 20:50:18 UTC 2016

> On 24 Jan 2016, at 21:23, Tim Daneliuk <tundra at tundraware.com> wrote:
>
> One of the servers I maintain has a very small footprint (it's a VPS).
> It is set up to do a full buildworld/buildkernel every night.  That way,
> when its time to upgrade for, say, security reasons, there is no build delay
> (which takes nearly 5 hours on this virtual machine).

Why build on the machine then? Why not just build on and install from another?

> The problem is that the machine has really limited disk space for day-to-day
> use.  So here's the question:  does installworld/kernel need what is in
> /usr/obj, or can that be deleted once the build is complete?  This would free
> up considerable space on that machine.

Well, that's where your built stuff goes, so it's where you'd install files from if you upgrade.

Also, it wouldn't really help you to delete it. With your current setup, you'd need the space again the next night, wouldn't you?

Terje