ZFS performance help sought

Mason Loring Bliss mason at blisses.org
Fri Jan 22 16:25:22 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 09:41:03AM +0000, Priyadarshan wrote:

> Interestingly, we have moved one of our machines in the opposite
> direction, from Linux 4.2/ZoL 0.6.5.4 to FreeBSD 10.2, because a 12 TB
> pool under Linux/ZoL was consistently reporting errors every few weeks.

The only reporting of errors I noted was when I was trying a persistent
broken mirror for back-ups - I'd peel off a pool vdev and send it offsite,
with the newly-onsite vdev being put back online. While ZFS was able to deal
with this for a short time - maybe a day - it started spewing checksum errors
if the vdev was brought back after a week, which is my normal rotation. This,
however, was an issue with OpenZFS itself, and the problem was identical
regardless of whether I was doing it under Linux or FreeBSD. I've since given
up on the idea and I'm shipping self-contained pools offsite instead of pool
elements.

--
The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig
to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which. - G. Orwell