Panic with sym on 10.2

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jan 19 14:50:38 UTC 2016

On 2016/01/19 14:39, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
>> Is it possible your disk controller is succumbing to the vagaries of age?
>
> I have never seen any little trouble with such a card (I've had more
> than one here and at customers'); thought it might actually be dying, I
> really find it strange that it started as soon as I upgraded from 9.3 to
> 10.2...

Yeah.  I've seen hardware failures triggered by big system updates
before now.  It's not particularly common, but it is possible for the
amount of IO churn involved in updating to tip a marginal component over
the edge.  Generally you'll only see this sort of effect if the system
is otherwise pretty quiet during normal operation.

As to the failure mode -- sure these things usually die completely, but
they can die gradually and in subtle ways, usually when doing that is
the most inconvenient possible thing.

	Cheers,

	Matthew