Panic with sym on 10.2

Matthew Seaman matthew at freebsd.org
Tue Jan 19 14:19:23 UTC 2016

On 01/19/16 13:13, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> Two days ago I upgraded a (perfectly working) 9.3/i386 box to 10.2p10
> Since then I've had two panics with the following message:
>
> panic: assertion "lp->busy_itl==0&&lp->busy_itlq==0" failed: file
> /usr/src/sys/dev/sym/sym_hipd.c
>
> Since the disk controller is involved, I do not get any core and I have
> to press the reset button.
>
> Google showed up no results (I'm not using ZFS, btw) and Bugzilla didn't
> help either.
>
> Any hint on where to go from here?

I recommend asking about this on freebsd-stable at ... and/or raising a PR
in bugzilla.  If there's any more information you can pull out of your
system, that would probably be helpful -- even if it's a case of taking
a photo of your screen and sticking it on a pasteboard site somewhere.

Hmmm... sym(4) looks like it's fairly elderly, implying the same is
probably true of your hardware.  Is it possible your disk controller is
succumbing to the vagaries of age?

	Cheers,

	Matthew