Unexpected dependencies of graphics/libGL

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Jan 17 06:34:31 UTC 2016

On Sat, 16 Jan 2016 22:18:25 -0800, David Benfell wrote:
> On 01/16/2016 10:07 PM, Polytropon wrote:
> > If the maintainer considers certain software essential for building,
> > the required stuff is not optional anymore - no matter if the programs
> > in question are _actually being used_ or not...
> From my very brief time messing with RPMs, a distinction was made
> between build dependencies and execution dependencies. I'm not clear
> here whether FreeBSD's pkg system makes that distinction but it might be
> a useful one to make.

The FreeBSD ports collection makes the distinction between
B-Deps (build dependencies) and R-Deps (run dependencies).
The precompiled packages typically contain references to
the run dependecies, but leave out the build dependencies
which you don't need to actually _run_ the software.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany