64 bit linux binary support

Alejandro Imass aimass at yabarana.com
Thu Jan 14 14:21:29 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 1:49 AM, Malcolm Matalka <mmatalka at gmail.com> wrote:
> Alejandro Imass <aimass at yabarana.com> writes:
>
>> On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 10:56 AM, William A. Mahaffey III
>> <wam at hiwaay.net> wrote:
>>>

>>> The FreeBSD wiki reports that there is no support for running 64-bit linux
>>> binaries under FreeBSD. The file utility does recognize the binary format,
>>> including listing a runtime loader to use when running them:
>>
>> [...]
>>

>>> Furthermore, the docker wiki page refers to newly available (as of last
>>> summer) 64-bit linux support. How is progress for supporting execution of
>>> 64-bit linux binaries proceeding ? TIA & have a good one.
>>>

>> Why not use Linux in the first place? Docker is very similar to jails
>> so why not take advantage of native FreeBSD Jails?
>>
>> It just seems like a big overhead and complication instead of using
>> Linux directly if you really want 64 bit Docker environment.
>
> Could you clarify your response?  Are you saying to use Linux instead of
> FreeBSD to host docker images or to run a VM or something else?

My response is pretty clear: Docker is pretty much like FreeBSD Jails
so why not use FBSD Jails (e.g. with EzJail) in the first place
instead of going through the trouble of getting a Linux-like jail
system to run on FreeBSD. And if you want/need Docker so bad then it
would probably be better to run on Linux to begin with.

Best,
Alejandro Imass