Hosts

Ashish SHUKLA ashish at FreeBSD.org
Mon Feb 29 00:41:54 UTC 2016

On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 10:54:40 +0100, JosC <bsduser at cloudzeeland.nl> said:
| Is there a wayI can link domain names to MAC addresses instead to IP
| addresses?
| Used to give some internal harware fixed ip's and described that in my
| /etc/hosts file, but as for some I use DHCP, I cannot use that
| anymore.

If your internal hardware can send its hostname with DHCP request, then you
can use the standard DDNS (dynamic DNS) feature, present in ISC dhcpd which
works with ISC BIND.

A common use-case for this is being able to resolve Windows computer names in
a LAN over DNS, if you don't run/allow mDNS in your network. Following is a
good HOWTO for this:

http://semicomplete.com/articles/dynamic-dns-with-dhcp/

HTH
--
Ashish SHUKLA      | GPG: F682 CDCC 39DC 0FEA E116  20B6 C746 CFA9 E74F A4B0
Sent from my Emacs