upgrade from 4.2 to 6.2

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Feb 26 15:13:20 UTC 2016

On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 20:19:33 +0530, sathiyaraj v wrote:
>    I want to know how to upgrade from FreeBSD 4.2 to FreeBSD 6.2 for power
> PC architeture.

Note that FreeBSD 6.2 is already EOL. You can still obtain and
install it, but it's not supported anymore, so installing current
software won't work (precompiled packages are your only option,
from the "historic mirror").

FreeBSD 10 is the currently supported version. Try to install
version 10.2. Keep in mind that the port infrastructure has
been significantly changed (as well as the binary packaging
mechanism) around FreeBSD 9, so neither 4.2 or 6.2 will be
able to deal with current ports and packages.

For backwards compatibility, you can install the required
packages, such as compat{4,5,6,7,8,9}x-ppc. But it's usually
advised to install current versions of the software you want
to use.

> Can you help me to upgrade? if any procedure can you please share.

For such an upgrade, I'd suggest you first make a full backup.
Verify the backup. Also make sure you have easily accessible
copies of any configuration and user data you want to have on
the new system. Then proceed with a new installation of FreeBSD,
which probably is much easier than trying an "in-place upgrade"
here. Finally, adjust the configuration and migrate all data
back as needed. Check for changes in configuration files and
adjust settings accordingly.

This "recipe" should get you up and running quickly. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany