Changing architecture

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Feb 24 21:53:42 UTC 2016

On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 14:43:11 +0100, Luciano Mannucci wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 14:57:10 +0200
> Rares Aioanei <bsdlisten at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Basically, if I understand your question correctly, you want /home/$user
> > and the contents of /etc (most of it) backed up then used on the new
> > machine(s).
> Yep. :)
> /home is moreless 1TB, so I'd *love* not to make a backup+restore...

Basically, an OS update or platform change does not touch
any files _not_ belonging to the OS. But it's helpful to
make data inaccessible that should not be altered:

	# umount /home

And make sure you do not mess with the partitioning and the
device associated to the /home directory. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany