Is it possible to print to Canon Pixma MG2470 (USB) ?

Manish Jain bourne.identity at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 24 19:17:33 UTC 2016

Hi All,

I am running into familiar problems with printing on FreeBSD 10.2
(amd64). I installed all possible packages I thought might be necessary
for Canon BJC PIXMA MG2470, including cups, gimp-gutenprint and some
more. I then followed the handbook to insert the lines for cups in
devfs.conf (usb dev = 2.6.0) and rc.conf, and then restarted devfsd and
cupsd.

Upon opening the cups admin page, there was no Canon make available -
although there were makes for HP and a few others. I chose
'generic-IPP-print-anywhere' and tried printing a text file. The printer
blinked a few times but produced nothing in output.

This is what I got from the log in the CUPS admin page :
[cups-deviced] PID 2083 (dnssd) stopped with status 1!
[Client 234] Returning IPP client-error-not-possible for
Create-Printer-Subscriptions (/) from localhost

I have no idea what the above lines mean.

Maybe a ppd file is needed for my printer, but googling fails to get any
suitable ppd file. Interestingly, gimp-gutenprint states that the
printer is supported. So what could I be missing ?

Thanks for any help.

--
Regards,

Manish Jain