svn revision in uname

Christoph Brinkhaus c.brinkhaus at t-online.de
Fri Feb 12 06:47:05 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 08, 2016 at 03:36:33PM +1100, Ian Smith wrote:

Hello Ian!

> On Sun, 7 Feb 2016 18:17:45 +0100, Christoph Brinkhaus wrote:
>  > On Mon, Feb 08, 2016 at 03:24:35AM +1100, Ian Smith wrote:
>
>  > >  > The version svnlite is part of the system and
>  > >  > does not need to be installed separately.
>  > >
>  > > On 10.x - since 10.1 maybe? - but not on 9.x.
>  >
>  > Ok, I have overlook this.
>
> No worries.
>
>  > >  > Here svnliteversion /usr/src works.
>  > >
>  > > If you're pulling sources with svnlite, so it should :)  Conversion
>  > > between using svn and svnup, either way, requires some care and cleaning
>  > > up; generally best advice is not to try mixing these methods.
>  > >
>  > I was not aware of that. I thought svnlite has just less capabilities.
>  > Thank you!
>
> Ah, I see the confusion; I've been talking about port net/svnup, not the
> difference between full svn and svnlite, where I expect you are correct.

In the meantime I have found information in the handbook
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/svn.html
which says that the difference between svn and svnlite is just the
missing Python and Perl API and may be the exact version.

On the FreeBSD forum I have read that the intention of svnlite is
to pull the sources. Other features might not be guaranteed to work.

> net/svnup is described as "A lightweight, dependency-free program to
> pull source using the svn protocol."  It does not use svn's directory
> structure (eg the /usr/src/.svn/ tree) and is not useful for developers
> wanting to push code back to the repository, among other svn features;
> it's purely for updating local sources (or ports, though I use portsnap)

I have switched to svnlite for the ports to be able to provide svndiff.

> Hmm, its website <http://jcm.dsl.visi.com/freebsd/svnup/> is down just
> lately; cc'ing the author/maintainer.

I did not intended to cause too much trouble.
Nevertheless this is an interesting topic.

> cheers, Ian

Thank you,
Christoph