Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Thu Feb 4 17:29:19 UTC 2016

On Thu, 4 Feb 2016, Warren Block wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Feb 2016, Forsyth, Emily B. wrote:
>
>> Very new to DocBook5 and the language used.  I'm creating a set of
>> documents and want to include an Index, but trying to figure out the
>> indexing method, I'm not having very much luck.  Can someone please guide
>> me?
>
> Are you using the FreeBSD document toolchain?  If so, see
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/fdp-primer/
>
> Otherwise, there are DocBook mailing lists and possibly something more
> specific for the exact toolchain in use.

Which, now that I think about it, does not really answer the question.

We use <indexterm> to mark out terms.  For example:

       <indexterm>
         <primary>TrueType Fonts</primary>
       </indexterm>
       <indexterm>
         <primary>fonts</primary>
         <secondary>TrueType</secondary>
       </indexterm>

This creates two entries in the index:

   fonts
     TrueType fonts, (link)

   TrueType fonts, (link)

The index is built by the toolchain, so that procedure depends on the
platform and toolchain being used.