Migrating ZFS on Linux pools to FreeBSD

Ruben Schade newsgroups at rubenschade.com
Thu Feb 4 00:02:00 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

I'm migrating a home HP Gen8 Microserver from Debian Jessie to FreeBSD
10.2. I have two mirrored ZFS pools created with the ZFS on Linux port,
and want to access them on FreeBSD.

I understand FreeBSD's ZFS implementation is more mature and pre-dates
the Linux port, and some web searches indicate the two may not be
entirely compatible. Most recommendations seem to be not to run Linux
and FreeBSD off the same pools, for example:

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/installing-freebsd-in-an-existing-zfs-pool.54831/

Does the same hold true for just data stores, and ones that are being
migrated over without being accessed by Linux again? Are there any
practical limitations to just using a ZFS pool created on Linux?

If there’s reasonable doubt of issues I'll just rebuilt the pools under
FreeBSD, but would be great if I didn't need to do that. It'd be cool if
it’s just a # zpool upgrade away hah :)

Cheers,

--
Cheers,