Disable driver attaching by PCI slot

Harry Schmalzbauer freebsd at omnilan.de
Thu Dec 29 16:35:35 UTC 2016

 Hello,

I have machines where an additional SATA controller is populated.
Unfortunately, ahcich numbering violates private conventions, since the
addon card is detected first and occupies ahci0 (the onboard controller
will become ahci1 and hard wired [local default] device numbering via
device.hints fails on these machines – there are several reasons not to
alter local standard device.hints...)
Setting hint.ahci.0.disabled="1" obviously is no good idea. Haven't
tried, but I guess this will disable both controllers...

One suitable way is to attach ppt to the card in question (like
pptdevs="0/25/0").
But that means vmm must be loaded/available.
And requires detaching ppt from the device before assigning the ahci
driver (by devctl(8)).

Is there a way to influence probing order by PCI slot?
Or at least disabling driver attachment by PCI slot?

Thanks,

-harry