ntpd on FreeBSD-11 source:

Dean E. Weimer dweimer at dweimer.net
Wed Dec 28 16:05:21 UTC 2016

On 2016-12-28 9:10 am, James B. Byrne via freebsd-questions wrote:
> On FreeBSD-11.0 when I see this:
>
> # ntpd -V
> /usr/sbin/ntpd: illegal option -- V
> ntpd - NTP daemon program - Ver. 4.2.8p9
>
> # which ntpd
> /usr/sbin/ntpd
>
> But I also see this on the same system:
>
> pkg which $(which ntpd)
> /usr/sbin/ntpd was not found in the database
>
> # pkg info ntp
> pkg: No package(s) matching ntp
>
> and yet:
>
> # pkg search ntp
> . . .
> ntp-4.2.8p9                    The Network Time Protocol Distribution
> . . .
>
> So, where does the ntpd I am running come from if not from a package
> or port?  AND if it does, as I believe it must, come from the port
> packages then why is it not reported by 'pkg info' and its program
> file not listed in the port database?
>
> --
> ***          e-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel          ***
>         Do NOT transmit sensitive data via e-Mail
>  Do NOT open attachments nor follow links sent by e-Mail
>
> James B. Byrne                mailto:ByrneJB at Harte-Lyne.ca
> Harte & Lyne Limited          http://www.harte-lyne.ca
> 9 Brockley Drive              vox: +1 905 561 1241
> Hamilton, Ontario             fax: +1 905 561 0757
> Canada  L8E 3C3

That is the ntp that is built into the operating system. You need to run
/usr/local/sbin/ntpd to use the pone from packages/ports.

Add this line to rc.conf to tell the startup script /etc/rc.d/ntpd to
start the package/port version instead of the operating system version
at system boot.
ntpd_program="/usr/local/sbin/ntpd"

--
Thanks,