FreeBSD 11.0 i386, XDM 1.1.11_6, XFCE 4.12_1 -- How to enable GUI shutdown and restart?

David Christensen dpchrist at holgerdanske.com
Wed Dec 28 03:51:41 UTC 2016

On 12/27/16 18:22, Bernt Hansson wrote:
> To be able to shutdown or reboot your system, you'll have to add a
> .pkla file in /usr/local/etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d
> directory. ... Source:  https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/45643/

Thanks for the reply.  I believe I saw that URL when STFW, but passed it by.

I've created a file:

2016-12-27 19:43:22 toor at t7400 ~
# cat
/usr/local/etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/org.freedesktop.consolekit.pkla

[Restart]
Identity=unix-group:dpchrist
Action=org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.restart
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=yes
ResultActive=yes

[Shutdown]
Identity=unix-group:dpchrist
Action=org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.stop
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=yes
ResultActive=yes

And I've added my user name to the operator group:

2016-12-27 19:44:25 toor at t7400 ~
# grep operator /etc/group
operator:*:5:root,dpchrist

I then shut down, booted, and logged in, but the Shut Down and Restart
buttons on the Xfce menu -> Log out dialog are greyed out.

Any suggestions for getting shutdown and restart working in Xfce?

How about XDM?

David