Need not dowloading grub for freebsd installation ? (have to date two Linux 16.04 32 bit and 64 bit)

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Dec 27 10:38:41 UTC 2016

On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 11:26:43 +0100, swjatoslaw gerus wrote:
>   Author have to date 2 istallation of Ubuntu 16.04 32 bit ad 64 bit
> from two sysadm  (student internet caffe)  , both  are with multiple
> errors

That doesn't sound good. :-/

If your system is capable of running a 64 bit OS, there is
hardly a reason to run a 32 bit OS on it (except you _really_
need to run software that will be available on a 32 bit OS
exclusively). So it's common to try 64 bit first, especially
when you're using hardware that's not older than 5 years.

With modern Linux distributions, you can start the OS from
USB or optical media (live system CDs and DVDs) and try them
out _before_ you install (i. e., no changes to the hard disk's
content is made).

> Need not dowloading grub  for freebsd installation ?

You don't need GRUB to boot FreeBSD, because it comes with its
own boot loader. You basically have the following options:

a) use the normal boot loader with boots FreeBSD

b) use the FreeBSD boot manager if you have multiple operating
   systems on one hard drive.

There are few restrictions originating in the BIOS vs. UEFI
problem, though. For a sinle OS installation, the normal boot
loader will work fine on both kinds of system.

Before you install, you can check how the installation process
will be, using the online documentation:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/bsdinstall.html

> Or need  another grub ? Which ?

GRUB is quite handy if you want to have FreeBSD and Linux on
the same hard drive, but it isn't essentially required, if I
remember correctly. (I haven't done multi-boot for many years
now.)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany