Replies to spam

David I Noel david.i.noel at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 20:33:03 UTC 2016

On 12/15/16, David I Noel <david.i.noel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sounds like status-quo it is then.
>
> In the interest of continuing fruitless conversations on this mailing
> list, I move to create the position of "Common Sense Things Around
> Here" and nominate either one of you two seemingly reasonable people
> to the position.
>
> I'm currently in the process of creating a few hundred new email
> addresses from which I will +1 this reply.
>
> David
>
> On 12/3/16, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:

>>> I want to apologize, as mentioning the forums was not meant to be a
>>> suggestion to switch to them, but to point out that current computer
>>> users mostly use the web rather than mailing lists.  A web interface to
>>> the mailing lists would be fine, provided it is usable.
>>
>> Wouldn't a web mailer be a possible solution here? It enables
>> the user to "stay on the web" / to "e-mail in Firefox" and
>> still benefit from the features unique to mailing lists? ;-)
>>
>>> The volume of posts to -questions from new users has not been very high
>>> for years. To me, that does not seem like a compelling reason to keep
>>> the list open to posting without subscription.
>>
>> That is a quite valid point of view. New users might be fully
>> comfortable with registering for a subscription-only mailing
>> list as they already are used to register for "everything"
>> they use...
>>
>> --
>> Polytropon

Well, I received an email shortly after sending this from someone who
asked not to be named who informed me that I was on the right track,
but that the only real way for that to work would be for those 100
email addresses to start contributing to base, be voted in as project
members, and then +1 the previously mentioned email.

So much for any immediate solution.