HW defect or system failure

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 15:54:38 UTC 2016

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 4:07 AM, Matthew Seaman <matthew at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 16/12/2016 10:54, J wrote:
> > i got this weird problem of my notebook randomly rebooting.
> > How would i find out if it is a kernel panic or a hardware failure?
>
> What changed?  If the rebooting started spontaneously, and not in a way
> obviously related to your upgrading the OS or packages, then it is
> probably hardware.
>
> Have you tried cleaning out and de-fluffing any air intakes or fans?  A
> common cause of rebooting like this is due to overheating.  Making sure
> the cooling airflow is unobstructed helps a lot.
>
> You can try running diagnostic tools like memtest86 -- these will detect
> many problems with RAM or CPU caches, which would confirm hardware as
> the cause.  If memtest86 doesn't find anything, that doesn't mean your
> hardware is definitely OK -- there are ways that hardware can fail that
> memtest86 can't detect.
>
>         Cheers,
>
>         Matthew

Additional to overheating , memory chip , BIOS setup , ... , caused reboots
, the following may be considered  after memory tests :

Sometimes , an executable may be broken in HDD . When it is run , it may
cause a reboot by accessing erroneously reboot code . Therefore , you may
try another  lively executable OS to understand reboots are deterministic
or probabilistic before reinstalling the existing program(s) or OS .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk