Should I use 10.3 or 11.0 on a new server?

Doug Hardie doug at mail.sermon-archive.info
Thu Dec 15 01:14:41 UTC 2016

> On 14 December 2016, at 13:07, John Levine <johnl at iecc.com> wrote:
>
> I have a server running 9.3 which turns into a pumpkin at the end of
> the month so I figure this is as good a time as any to migrate stuff
> to a newer faster box.
>
> Should I use 10.3 or 11.0?  My main interests is stability and easy
> administration (as in, it would be nice if I can use only packages and
> not have to build any updated or customized ports.)  It's running
> a fairly ordinary bunch of web and mail services.
>
> I don't need anything new and shiny -- I'd have stayed with 9.3 if it
> were still supported.

I tried to update to 10.x from 9.3.  None of my machines could make the NICs work under 10.x.  They just hung. However, 11.0 works just fine.  I currently have at least 6 production servers using 11.0 and have encountered no problems.  While there is quite a variety of services on them, the heavily used ones are web and mail.  Once I got the patch for freebsd-update working, the upgrade was the easiest I have encountered since starting with 2.5 years ago.