Installing FreeBSD on size limited ZFS partition

Julien Cigar julien at perdition.city
Wed Dec 14 16:14:19 UTC 2016

On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 10:41:41AM -0500, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> On 12/14/2016 10:36 AM, Julien Cigar wrote:
> >
> > I have something like this here and did more or less the following:
> > https://blog.grem.de/sysadmin/Shrinking-ZFS-Pool-2014-05-29-21-00.html
>
> Thanks, I was hoping to do it right from the install, but I have done it
> this way too.
>

> > Also, you should not use HAST with ZFS
>
> How come ?  It seems to work well enough on the last box I setup this
> way ? Whats the better way ?

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2016-July/023498.html

Whats the better way depends of your needs, if you can afford to lose
"some" data use ZFS replication with something like zrep, otherwise I
would you with ZFS + iSCSI (which is what I use in production here), but
be very careful with "automatic failover".

If it can help this is what I use for my failover script:
https://gist.github.com/silenius/cb10171498071bdbf6040e30a0cab5c2
(it relies extensively on CARP, so be sure to choose good NICs)

--
Julien Cigar
Belgian Biodiversity Platform (http://www.biodiversity.be)